Travis Scott has already announced paying for funeral expenses of all that died during his Astroworld Festival as well as offering mental health services to those affected by the tragedy that took place. Still, he’s received lots of backlash for his handling of the event, to include his decision to continue performing as it all transpired. But now on his team is former mayor of Baltimore Stephanie Rawlings Blake as his new spokesperson.
“There’s a lot of confusion. As you saw [from video clips], it was chaotic,” she stated on CBS Mornings. “And just like the police officers who were [present], Travis had no idea of what was going on until well later–hours and hours later… He was notified by his team after he was already gone from the event. As you saw, there was so much chaos–so much breakdown in the communication. And that’s why it was important for me to work to try to help them out. Nine people have lost their lives–nine families are grieving.”
Travis Scott’s spokesperson Stephanie Rawlings-Blake says the rapper was not aware of the degree of tragedy at Astroworld until hours after the event ended.
She says he’s looking to move forward: “He was not responsible for this, but he wants to be responsible for the solution.” pic.twitter.com/4gBbDwXcvT
— CBS Mornings (@CBSMornings) November 12, 2021
She continued saying, “While a lot of people are trying to place the blame, Travis is taking responsibility for moving forward and making sure this never happens again to anyone’s child… He has not stopped grieving for these families. He knows that he is who he is because of his fans. His love for his fans is so deep–I was struck when I was speaking to him [by] how deeply he was hurting.”
“When I say responsibility, someone has to say ‘Where are the breakdowns–where was the communication breakdown, where was the public safety breakdown?’ This notion that Travis had the ability to stop the concert is ludicrous. They have a 59-page operations plan, and it clearly says the only two people that have the authority to stop the concert were the executive producer and the concert producer. He was not responsible for this–but he wants to be responsible for the solution, and I’m here to make sure that we can connect the dots.”
She added, “His team is always concerned about safety. He does not hide from the fact that, in the past, he has made mistakes. But one thing he said to me [is] that he’s learned. And that’s why he takes safety so seriously.”
If the decision to bring her on seems strange, you might remember the riots in Baltimore in 2015 while she was Mayor over the killing of Freddie Gray and subsequently systemic issues within their police department. While her handling of things were called into question and her approval rating took a beating as would be expected, she does have the experience of getting through such a crises while being out front, so who better to do the same with Travis Scott? Let’s see if she’ll be able to calm things down. So far he’s been sued by over 100 people and attorneys have expressed interest in 90 more suits, so only time will tell how this goes.